Hi hockey fans. My most sincere apologies for my absence – it’s been a very busy time! Did anyone see the latest Avs headlines this morning? While Tony Granato I’m sure had assumed his job wasn’t safe, I don’t know if anyone saw this move coming.
This morning, the Avalanche issued the press release that all members of the Avs coaching staff had been fired. Head coach Tony Granato, assistant coaches Jacques Cloutier and Dave Barr, goaltending coach Jeff Hackett, Assistant [to the] GM Michel Goulet, and even video coordinator P.J. DeLuca all lost their jobs this morning.
-by Alaina Scarano-Isbouts
Breaking news Avs fans, Francois Giguere just got canned. Avs President Pierre Lacroix made the following statement to the press earlier:
“The results of this season are unacceptable. We feel a new direction is needed which re-emphasizes those standards of excellence our fans have grown accustomed to since 1995. We will work diligently towards reclaiming our identity that made our brand so special and unique.
Here are a few facts that will make you hate life as an Avs fan right now:
- Last night’s 2-7 loss to Anaheim secured our fate outside of the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years
- The Avs have now given up 15 goals in their last 2 home games
- Neither one of our goalies could stop any pucks last night, making the situation for a goalie even more dire
- Stastny is out “2-4 weeks” with a broken foot. When was the last time you ever saw anyone come back after 2 weeks with a broken foot?
- Ruslan Salei left the game with an injured knee last night; no word yet on his status
- Each passing day is one more day closer to the 09-10 season that Joe Sakic hasn’t committed to returning
- Cody McCormick will not be signing autographs at Conoco today (in case anyone was actually going to that)
- The Avs have never been this far back in the Western Conference this late in the season
- Last night was the fifth game the Avs lost in a row — and this is the 3rd time the Avs have reached that number this season
- As of last night, the Avs were ranked 25th in the league in fan attendance, bringing in an average of 15,595 fans per home game
- The Avs only have $13 million to sign 10 players (plus a goalie, plus Sakic) in the off-season
But do not despair, Avs fans. Although those facts might be enough to make you whine more than Jeremy Roenick, there are some good tidbits as well. Facts to dry your tears:
After last night's 8-1 loss to Edmonton, can things get any worse? (Photo from The Denver Post.)
Anyone read the Denver Post TODAY? There are two fantastic articles that echo exactly what I (and the rest of my Thin Air Sports crew who came to back me up) said yesterday. Adrian Dater perhaps learned from his mistake yesterday, and Mark Kiszla is just plain right.
After last night’s Edmonton embarrassment (and to some of us, much earlier than that) one thing was painfully obvious: Francois Giguere has GOT to go. He’s done.
Patrik Stefan after being chosen #1 in the 1999 draft. Recognize him? Yeah, me neither.
Adrian Dater is stupid and I don’t have to have any reasons so there.
Just kidding. But seriously, he actually put his name on an article in The Denver Post that suggests the Avs should just tank the rest of the season to get a good draft pick. This is mostly based on the fact that the Caps got Alexander Ovechkin after one of the worst seasons in NHL history. The Caps finished out the 03-04 season with a whopping 59 points, and once they won the draft lottery they picked Ovechkin.
Lets just educate our hockey fans with a few facts to prove Adrian Dater wrong. Come on kids, you could do this at home!